Hillcrest Building and Loop Road

Title

Hillcrest Building and Loop Road

Description

Although the silo may be the most recognized structure remaining from Spring Grove Hospital's occupancy of the land that now hosts UMBC, the Hillcrest Building was also built and used by Spring Grove. Hillcrest was built in 1921 specifically to house and rehabilitate criminally insane patients. All patients had been relocated in the Hospital by the time the land was transferred to the University of Maryland, and Hillcrest was included in the transfer. From 1966 to 2000, at one time or another the Hillcrest Building housed administrative offices, student organizations including the offices for fraternities and sororities, Residential Life, and a popular student lounge called the Rattskeller. As the building deteriorated, required asbestos removal, and other spaces like the University Center and the Commons were built, Hillcrest emptied out and was closed. It was demolished in 2007 despite some efforts on campus to preserve and restore the historic building.

Source

University Photographs

Date

1978

Format

color slides; color photographs; 35 mm

Identifier

UARC Photos-13-0138

Files

http://library.umbc.edu/speccoll/UMBC_50th_Online_Exhibit/50umbctimeline/PDFs/JPEG/UARCPhotos-13-0138.jpg

Tags

Citation

“Hillcrest Building and Loop Road,” UMBC 50th, accessed February 18, 2020, https://umbc50.omeka.net/items/show/1670.