Students walking by the University Center

Title

Students walking by the University Center

Description

The University Center opened to praises at the start of the 1982 fall semester with couches for quiet study, dining options, and offices for the SGA and the Retriever. In 1981, SGA president Terry Nolan proposed that the old Student Union building could then be repurposed into a daycare center, student organization offices, meeting spaces, and a car co-op space (an area equipped with tools for car repair). His rationale was that the Regents approved increases in student fees to help pay for the construction of the Student Union in 1968 and that entitled students to maintain use of the building thereafter. The ownership of the old building was resolved by the campus Facilities Planning Committee which split the 12,500 square foot space among the SGA, a proposed daycare center, and the Department of Theatre.

Source

University Photographs

Date

ca. 1982

Format

gelatin silver prints; black-and-white photographs; 5 x 7 in.

Identifier

UARC Photos-10-02-0001

Files

http://library.umbc.edu/speccoll/UMBC_50th_Online_Exhibit/50umbctimeline/PDFs/JPEG/UARCPhotos-10-02-0001.jpg

Tags

Citation

“Students walking by the University Center,” UMBC 50th, accessed December 4, 2022, https://umbc50.omeka.net/items/show/1581.