The Silo by Karine Mardirossian

Title

The Silo by Karine Mardirossian

Description

Both a symbol and a signpost, the silo serves as a sentinel along UMBC Boulevard, reminding those entering and leaving campus about the school's agrarian past. Built about 1919 when Spring Grove State Hospital owned the property, the silo is a traditional style made of concrete reinforced with metal hoops. After having the Library named in his honor in 1982, Albin Kuhn joked that the administration should have considered the Kuhn Silo instead, recognizing not only his farming background but also his original decision to not remove the silo in the 1960s due to the high cost.

Creator

Mardirossian, Karine

Source

University Photographs

Date

1983

Format

gelatin silver prints; black-and-white photographs

Identifier

UARC 1989-29-002

Files

http://library.umbc.edu/speccoll/UMBC_50th_Online_Exhibit/50umbctimeline/PDFs/JPEG/UARC1989-29-002.jpg

Tags

Citation

Mardirossian, Karine, “The Silo by Karine Mardirossian,” UMBC 50th, accessed June 25, 2022, https://umbc50.omeka.net/items/show/1526.