Baltimore Manual Labor School Seen from Shelbourne Road

Title

Baltimore Manual Labor School Seen from Shelbourne Road

Description

A portion of the property on which UMBC is built previously was owned by the Baltimore Manual Labor School. Also known as the Farm School, it operated from 1839 to 1922 with the purpose of instructing and supporting poor or orphaned boys from Baltimore City. Support for the school came from wealthy Baltimoreans including Johns Hopkins and Gustav W. Lurman, Jr. Shown in the photograph is a Stabler family member in a carriage on the farm road from Maiden Choice Lane, now called Shelbourne Road.

Source

Baltimore Manual Labor School Collection

Date

ca. 1900

Format

gelatin silver prints; black-and-white photographs; 8 x 10 in.

Identifier

MSS 1988-02-012

Files

http://library.umbc.edu/speccoll/UMBC_50th_Online_Exhibit/50umbctimeline/PDFs/JPEG/MSS1988-02-012.jpg

Citation

“Baltimore Manual Labor School Seen from Shelbourne Road,” UMBC 50th, accessed December 2, 2022, https://umbc50.omeka.net/items/show/1522.