A campus is born

The Silo by Karine Mardirossian
"The Silo" by Karine Mardirossian, 1983. University Photographs, UARC 1989-29-002. View larger.

Both a symbol and a signpost, the silo serves as a sentinel along UMBC Boulevard, reminding those entering and leaving campus about the school’s agrarian past. Built about 1919 when Spring Grove State Hospital owned the property, the silo is a traditional style made of concrete reinforced with metal hoops. After having the Library named in his honor in 1982, Albin Kuhn joked that the administration should have considered the Kuhn Silo instead, recognizing not only his farming background but also his original decision to not remove the silo in the 1960s due to the high cost.